Monday 29 April 2013

Mad Mecha Guy watch towers now painted

My watchtowers are now painted and ready for action!  After an all-over undercoat with MDF primer, I've used Inscribe olive drab acrylic for the tower and a tester pot of Wilkinson's stone wall grey for the concrete base.  The tower was drybrushed with olive drab with a dash of white added and for some reason it's come out looking almost grey in my photographs!  I think it's because I was taking the pictures in natural light.

The completed tower.
I've made a small addition to the basic tower, gluing small blocks over the top of the holes in the roof.  This means that I've been able to shave a bit off the roof supports so the roof easily lifts off - with the layers of paint it had become a little tight.  The blocks on the top stop the roof sliding down and crushing the occupants!  In this instance I've recycled the window cut-outs from the WC blocks I ordered at the same time.

Interior detail.
 The interior is spacious enough for a squad of troops to keep a lookout.

Should hold a fire team nicely!
 Then I thought I'd have a play with some scenery...

The patrol set out...

Observation tower in the forest.

Keeping watch over the border.

Defending a forest road.

11 comments:

  1. That looks great!

    Also, where are those trees from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trees are by Heki. I bought them in boxes of 100 for £10 but that was about 15 years ago! I see they still do various packs of 100 trees on their web site, prices range from 18.60 euros (4-7cm sizes) to 29.00 euros (5-14cm). I think my boxes were 5-7cm trees. Not sure who retails them in the UK or US, my former supplier retired several years back.

      http://katalog.heki-kittler.de/epages/68038839.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/68038839/Categories/%22Miniwald%20Tannensortimente%22

      Delete
    2. Blackwells sell them in the UK:

      http://www.blackwells-miniatures.com/100-firs-4-7-cm-low-priced-range-p-518.html

      Delete
  2. Good work Paul, especially the pictures with the atmospheric scenery! I've heard back from Joseph now, so hopefully I'll soon have my invoice, and then my buildings. Thanks to your posts, my next order will have watchtowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I'm planning an order right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scenic shots look great, they remind me of that WWII film with a bunch of POW's taking a rescued elephant from a zoo to safety, i cant remember if they blow up a large wooden watch tower or get the elephant to help pull it down or have i got it totally wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the film but I remember reading about it somewhere!

      Delete
  6. They've come out really nice and they look excellent amongst all that forest scenery. Nicely done pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to try and do the occasional photo session where I set up some scenery to tell a little story!

      Delete
  7. That looks smashing!

    The forest shots especially so!

    ReplyDelete